Mohtashim H. Shamsi
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
PDF (2015) University of Toronto
PhD (2012) University of Toronto
M.S. (2008) Gwangju Institute Sci. & Tech.
B.Sc. (2001) University of Karachi
Curiosity, Creativity & Critical Thinking
Research lab is an incubator, which provides right set of conditions that allow students to follow their curiosity, develop critical thinking, and produce creative works.
Who we are? We are a diverse group with the research interest at the interface of microfluidics, electrochemistry, and biosensing.
What do we do?
- October 16, 2020: Narges's paper "Label-Free Electrochemical Detection of CGG Repeats on Inkjet Printable 2D Layers of MoS2" accepted in ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. Congrats Narges!
- September 23, 2020: Thrilled!!!! receiving funding from Neurodegenerative Diseases Research Inc to develop low-cost technology to detect ALS biomarkers.
- August 2020: Ahmad Qamar joined the University of Central Arkansas as a tenure-track Assistant Professor. Congrats Dr. Qamar!
- May 2020: Narges Asefifeyzabadi published an article "Unique Sequence-Dependent Properties of Trinucleotide Repeat Monolayers: Electrochemical, Electrical, And Topographic Characterization" in Journal of Materials Chemistry B. https://doi.org/10.1039/D0TB00507J Congratulations Narges!
- May 2020: Narges Asefifeyzabadi received the prestigious 2020 GPSC Research & Creative Activities Award. Congratulations Narges!
- May 2020: Narges Asefifeyzabadi received the prestigious Gower's fellowship for summer 2020. Congratulations Narges!
- April 2020: Grace Durocher received the prestigious Research Enriched Academic Challenge (REACH) award for the 2020-2021 Congratulations Grace!
- April 2020: Narges Asefifeyzabadi received the prestigious Doctoral Research Assistantship for spring 2021. Congratulations Narges!
- January 2020: Ahmad Qamar published an article "Desktop Fabrication of Lab-on-Chip Devices on Flexible Substrates: A Brief Review" in Micromachines. https://doi.org/10.3390/mi11020126. Congrats Dr. Qamar!
- December 2019: Ahmad Qamar will start his new Postdoctoral Position at Old Dominion University from January 2020. Congrats Dr. Qamar!
- - December 2019: Ahmad Qamar published his work 'Characterization and Application of Fluidic Properties of Trinucleotide Repeat Sequences by Wax-on-Plastic Microfluidics' in Journal of Materials Chemistry B (RSC) DOI:10.1039/C9TB02208B. Congrats Ahmad!
- August 22, 2019: Motahareh Taki published her M.S. paper 'Novel probes for label-free detection of neurodegenerative GGGGCC repeats associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis' in Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry (Springer-Verlag) Congrats Moti!
- August 14, 2019: MEB lab Received NSF $$$.......our proposal entitled "Novel probes for label-free detection of neurodegenerative DNA repeats" has received NSF funding. The funds will help develop biosensors to detect more than two dozen neurodegenerative diseases like Huntington's disease, Fredrich Ataxia, ALS etc.
- May 7, 2019: Ahmad Qamar published his second paper 'Evolution of wax‑on‑plastic microfluidics for sub‑microliter flow dynamics and its application in distance‑based assay' in Microfluidics and Nanofluidics (Springer Nature) Congrats Ahmad!
- April 16, 2019: Sensen Chen (M.S. 2017) published her thesis research in Scientific Reports (Nature Publishing) https://rdcu.be/bxaIn. Many Congratulations!